I'm pleased to say 2017 has been my best year so far as a freelance camera operator. Video content has exploded over the past few years mainly thanks to social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook having access to brands who are not afraid to invest in their image. I've had a really great year shooting TV commercials, live events, short films, corporate video and branded content. Here are some highlights that stick out:
- Filming with orphan children in Gambia, West Africa for a charity campaign video.
- Shooting two short films with one going on to win the festival and £10,000 worth of prizes.
- DOP for two TV commercials.
- Prepare for a name drop. I've been lucky enough to work with various singers, actors and athletes this year including: Joanna Lumley, Ollie Murs, Sir Chris Hoy, Vernon Kay, JP Cooper, Rick Astley, Team GB Snowboarder Katie Ormerod and Fat Boy Slim.
- Filming an underwater shoot with my Sony FS7. I blogged about the experience here.
- Travelling the world with a camera. It was always a dream of mine to be able to explore the world and get paid for it. I'm very lucky that my job has taken me to various countries this year such as Sweden, Croatia, Indonedsia, Australia, Italy and Gambia.
-Being featured on 'Film Industry Pro Podcast' talking all about me.
- Shooting a music video for 'Jordan Allen' who recently got featured on Radio X's evening playlist.
I've also achieved some personal goals this year including:
- Buying my first house.
- Getting a dog
- Completing the 3 Peak Challenge in under 24 hours.
- Starting my shares/ investment portfolio
I'd like to thank all my friends (who also happen to be my clients) for an awesome year and here's to many more. Let's get smashed!